Friday, May 8, 2015

Jeter's Death Ruled a Suicide


This morning the Tarrant County Medical Examiner's Office released its report on the death of North Texas women's basketball player Eboniey Jeter.

According to the ME's Office, Jeter died of suicide by hanging. As I've posted about earlier, her body was found in her Mozart Square dorm room Tuesday morning.

From the first time I read about this story I had not even considered suicide. I thought maybe it was a bad heart -- a condition that seems to take many young athletes.

Her age -- 21 years old -- is another thing that makes it so hard to understand. Jeter isn't the first athlete I've covered to pass away, but that doesn't ease anything.

A football player from my high school -- Moses Rhymers -- was killed in a car crash on the last day of my first semester in college. He was a safety and was in his second season at Mary Hardin-Baylor.

I remember that day so vividly because it was maybe the first time someone my age that I've really known died. I had a physics final that morning, and when I came back I saw the news about Moses on Twitter. Most people remember that day as the Sandy Hook elementary school shooting. Later that night I helped broadcast the Denton Guyer-Tyler John Tyler stat semi-final football game.

I wonder how bad things had gotten for Jeter, that this seemed like a good or the best option. Surely, we don't and can't know everything, but could something have been done? Could something have helped? Could something have made a difference?

This is such a difficult time for the Mean Green women's basketball program to lose someone they spent so much time with and were so close to. It's also hard to feel how difficult it is for Jalie Mitchell, who's trying to start her first ever month as a head coach.

It's a tough situation all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment