Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Covering the Denton Storms


A tree fell through a backyard and onto a parked car, blocking Oakwood Drive in Denton
It was only the second time I had heard the Denton tornado sirens firing off for real. I was calling my mom to wish her a happy Mother's Day when she, coincidentally, asked me if I could hear the sirens from my apartment. 

I told her yeah, in fact, they're blaring right now. I feel like I've kind of gotten used to a chance for heavy storms in the D-FW area. Severe thunderstorm watches can become the norm, and it's not really something that causes concern -- especially when it happens three or four days in a row like the current stretch. 
Studio 6 sign on Ft. Worth Dr. in Denton

Well, the batch of storms on Sunday was pretty gnarly. I was watching Pete Delkus, and remember barely being able to see anything outside because the rain was so heavy. The window became foggy -- the same thing that happened the first time I heard the sirens go off.

After it looked like everything was clear I decided the best thing would be to try to interview people who were in the storms.

It was pretty cool driving around after the storm, trying to find damage and talking to people about their experiences.

The first stop was on Fort Worth Drive in Denton where a couple of buildings had some damage, and trees in the median had been cut in half.

Roof damage to Layalina's Mediterranean Grill on Ft. Worth Dr.




I got some good audio from the owner of the Layalina restaurant, but the best was yet to come.

When I pulled up there were already three or four other people taking pictures, one TV cameraman, and some HAM radio operators.

I heard a Denton Record-Chronicle photographer mention that Denia Park was the hardest hit area so I decided to head that way.


There were a whole lot of knocked over trees and a leaning telephone pole or two.

Here are two pictures of the damage south of McCormick and I-35E:
















I don't know if storm chasing would be in my future, but it was a rush to cover the aftermath and see the damage first-hand. Also, some of the people I talked to were very interesting and had colorful comments -- which made for great radio on KNTU news the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment